You are unable to see your complete contact list when you sign into Windows Live Messenger whereas through Web Messenger or MSN Messenger you were able to see the complete list.
When you launch a conversation window with a contact you see their friendly name being displayed incorrectly though the e-mail address is correct
You see an information bar in your conversation window that the user is not on your contact list though they are actually on your contact list.
If you see an empty contact list after upgrading to Windows Live Messenger, follow the steps below:
1. Sign out of Messenger
2. Click Start and Run and type in %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Messenger\ and hit Enter
3. This will open a new Windows Explorer window
4. In the window that opens double click on your Messenger ID.
5. Double click on the Contacts folder.
6. Delete the two folders you see inside the Contacts folder.
If you have lost some contacts:
Each user who signs in to Messenger has a contact list. If the user is signed in with a Microsoft domain e-mail address, that user’s contact list is shared between Hotmail and Messenger.
1. In the main MSN Messenger window, click Add a Contact on the Contacts menu.
2. Follow the steps in the wizard to add the contact.
Note: MSN policy is to delete an inactive user’s address from other users’ contact lists after 60 days of inactivity. This does not apply to inactive MSN paying subscribers or to inactive Hotmail Extra Storage subscribers.
How can I remove the nick name of a person so that it reverts back to their original display name?
In order to remove the nickname you may have assigned do the following:
1. Right click on the contact whose nickname you wish to remove and choose “Edit Contact”
2. Choose the Contact tab and delete the nickname and choose “Save Contact”
3. The contact’s nickname will now revert back to their original display name assigned by the contact.
Note: The ability to revert a contact’s nickname to their own display name from the main window itself will be fixed in later versions
Why do I see deleted contacts after I upgrade from MSN Messenger to Windows Live Messenger
The Address Book is a unified contact list in Windows Live Messenger that provides a complete view of your contact list. This view includes Messenger contacts and other contacts.
If you use an MSN or MSN Hotmail e-mail account, the Windows Live Messenger Address Book includes the list of all users in your Hotmail Address Book.
A Messenger contact can be identified by the Messenger icon next to the display name. A typical address book contact contains a contact card next to the display name.
Note: If you upgraded from an earlier version of Messenger, you may see deleted contacts displayed in the "Other Contacts" group. This behavior may occur if you have a Hotmail or MSN address and if you had deleted a user from the contact list. The user remains in your address book and therefore is displayed in Windows Live Messenger.
To view only your Messenger contacts in MSN Messenger, click "Filter Contacts" on the "Contacts" menu, and then click "Messenger Contacts only." This view is similar to earlier versions of Messenger.
If you have any other issues not listed here with your contact list, pelase contact Windows Live Messenger Support and choose Messenger.