When you try to sign in to MSN Messenger, you receive the following error message:
You cannot use Messenger at this time because your contact list is not available. Please try again later 81000378
The following condition may apply:
• For MSN Messenger: The Address Book Clearing House servers or the Contacts List servers are unavailable because of high-volume traffic or because the servers are down.
• For Windows Live Messenger: You are unable to connect to the contacts servers and hence are unable to download your contact list.
1. Identify the version of Messenger you are using. To do this, click on the Help Menu and choose “About Messenger”.
a. If you are using version MSN Messenger version 7.0 and lower, you may be experiencing this error because of a temporary service issue. Please visit the following web site to check for the latest Messenger service status: http://status.messenger.msn.com/Status.aspx
Note: If the Messenger service status page does not indicate that there are any service issues then please try to sign in after a few minutes. If the Messenger service status page does indicate a service issue with the Messenger service then please check this page for updates until the service issues has been resolved. Once the service issues have been resolved you can then try to sign in to Messenger.
b. If you are using Windows Live Messenger, please proceed to the next steps.
2. If you are using Windows Live Messenger, the most likely reason you are experiencing this error is because Messenger has not been able to download your contact list and you are unable to connect to the Contacts service to download your contact list. Try the following steps:
a. Adjust your Microsoft Internet Explorer security settings:
• Start Internet Explorer.
• On the Tools menu, click Internet Options, and then click the Advanced tab.
• In the Security section, make sure that the following check boxes are set correctly:
o Clear the Check for server certificate revocation check box.
o Select the Use SSL 2.0 check box.
o Select the Use SSL 3.0 check box
• Click OK to close the window.
b. If you are using Windows Live Messenger on Windows Vista, click on Start and type in each command one at a time in the Windows Vista search box located on the Start menu. For Windows XP click on START, select RUN and type in each command below one at a time and click the OK button. After each command is executed successfully, you will receive a "DllRegisterServer succeeded" message. Wait until you receive this message before you run the next command.
• REGSVR32 softpub.dll
• REGSVR32 wintrust.dll
• REGSVR32 initpki.dll
• REGSVR32 Rsaenh.dll
• REGSVR32 Mssip32.dll
• REGSVR32 Cryptdlg.dll
• REGSVR32 Dssenh.dll
• REGSVR32 Gpkcsp.dll
• REGSVR32 Slbcsp.dll
• REGSVR32 Sccbase.dll
c. If you are connecting from a corporate network and are experiencing this error, it is likely that your corporate proxy may be blocking access to the contacts domain Please request your network administrator to:
• Permit connections to https://*.contacts.msn.com through network proxy.
• If the proxy has rules based on user-agent string, please ensure that connections with the HTTP user-agent string “MSN Explorer/9.0 (MSN 8.0; TmstmpExt)” are allowed to connect through the proxy.