1. From the system tray, near the system clock, click on the ZoneAlarm Security Suite icon to open the main console window.
2. Select Program control from the left hand pane window.
3. Click on Programs and check if Windows Live Messenger is found in the list of programs. If it is not found in the list, click on Add. If Windows Live Messenger is found in the list, check if the Smart Defense status is set to Auto else change to Auto.
4. In the Add program window, browse to locate the MSNMSGR.exe file. If you are using Windows Live Messenger 8.1, browse for Windows Live Messenger by going to C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MSNMSGR.exe. If you are using Windows Live Messenger 8.5 or later, browse for Windows Live Messenger by going to C:\Program Files\Windows Live\MSN Messenger\MSNMSGR.exe. Click Open to select the file.
5. Windows Live Messenger will now be listed in the programs list, with the Smart Defense status set to Auto as shown below.