Folks, we think we have fixed most of the 1603 issues in 7.0. Go here and try the released build.
Several folks have contacted me to who have tried these steps listed here, but who are still having prroblems. We’re working on improving the steps.
When you attempt to install MSN Messenger the setup may fail with one of the following errors:
An error occurred during the installation of assembly component.
An error occurred during the installation of assembly ‘Microsoft.Windows.Networking.RtcDll,type=”win32”,version=”126.96.36.199”,publicKeyToken=”6595b64144ccf1df”,processorAchitecture=”x86””. Please refer to Help and Support for more information. HRESULT: 0x80070002.
This is the dreaded 1603 error.
The number one cause for this is having anti-spyware running when you try to install MSN Messenger. To test this, turn off or disable your anti-spyware application and try installing Messenger again.
If that fixes it, great! Turn the anti-spyware application back on and enjoy the newest version of Messenger.
If that didn’t solve the problem it could be one of following:
Insufficient disk space
You may not have enough disk space to complete the install. You should have at least 50 MB of free disk space to install Messenger. It isn’t that Messenger needs 50 MB when installed, rather that during the installation process Messenger decompresses files and stores them temporarily on your hard drive. So, make sure you have plenty of free disk space before installing MSN Messenger.
If you need to free up some disk space, try running the Disk Cleanup Manager. To launch the Disk Cleanup Manager:
- Click Start, click Run, type "cleanmgr" and then click OK.
- Select drive C: from the list of drives (or the drive your temp environment variable points to).
- Click OK. The Disk Cleanup Manager will analyze the selected drive to determine the amount of space that can "cleaned up".
Note This may take a couple of minutes, so be patient.
- In the Disk Cleanup window, click the Disk Cleanup tab.
- Select the following check boxes:
- Downloaded Program Files
- Temporary Internet Files
- Temporary Files
- Temporary Offline Files
- Offline Files
- Click OK to delete the selected file types.
- When you are prompted, click Yes to confirm the operation and start the process.
The temporary folder is encrypted
If your computer is running Windows XP or Windows 2000/2003 you have may enabled encryption for the %temp% folder on your computer. If the folder was encrypted, you must temporarily turn off encryption on the folder before you install MSN Messenger. To turn off encryption:
- Click Start, click Run.
- Type in "%temp%\..\" and hit Enter to open an Explorer window.
- Click on the Temp folder to select it.
- Right click on the Temp folder and choose Properties.
- In the Properties window, click General.
- Click on the Advanced button to open the “Advanced Attributes” window.
- In the “Compress and Encrypt attributes” section, uncheck “Encrypt contents to secure data”
- Click OK twice to save changes and close the Properties window.
Re-register the MSI installer files
Windows XP SP2
- Click Start, click Run.
- Type "msiexec /unregserver" and press Enter.
- Type "msiexec /regserver" and press Enter.
Windows XP SP1 and Windows 2000 SP3 and later versions
- Visit http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=5fbc5470-b259-4733-a914-a956122e08e8&displaylang=en.
- Click the WindowsInstaller-KB884016-v2-x86.exe link at the bottom of the page to start the installation.
- Visit http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=CEBBACD8-C094-4255-B702-DE3BB768148F#filelist.
- Click the InstMsiA.exe link at the bottom of the page to start the installation.
Windows 2000 SP2 and earlier
- Visit http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=4B6140F9-2D36-4977-8FA1-6F8A0F5DCA8F
- Click the InstMsiW.exe link at the bottom of the page to start the installation.
Okay now try installing MSN Messenger again. Try to install Messenger again:
For MSN Messenger 6.2 click here.
For MSN Messenger 7 Beta click here.